brad

brad

Monday, October 23, 2017

We Have an Appointment with an Investigator



 Zlín in the fall



Things that happened this week:
  • The district is doing well. We were all in Zlín last week for some coat stuff. Elder Schmutz found a winter coat. Also I bought some jeans, because they were having a good sale. So I actually might be good on pants. I don't remember though, we'll see once I get back. I might buy one more suit, and a new pair of fancy shoes, and that will probably be it for clothes shopping. Anything more and I might run out of room in my suitcase. Our district is going to play squash together today in UH. I will take a picture.
Most of our district (photo by Elder Schmutz)
  • Elder Schmutz is doing good, he is coming along. I am remembering my training experience a lot. It is interesting to look back on. Zlín will be fine without me. Good news! We also found a new investigator on Wednesday evening next to the main square. His name is J., and we have a meeting with him tomorrow. It should be good.
 Elder Pickett & Elder Schmutz


  • We try to offer service for people, but a lot of them say no. Czechs have a culture where they don't feel like they can just take free service, they feel they have to repay you in some way, and for some people that is too much to repay Mormon missionaries. But we have some opportunities, and always keep looking for more. Sometimes we go service tracting on Saturday mornings, dressed in normal clothes and offering to just help people out.
  • I saw Sister (Roubicek) Godfrey, one of my MTC teachers, in UH for sacrament meeting yesterday, so that was cool. I went on an exchange with Elder Jarvis this last week, he is doing awesome. I will have an exchange with Elder Raines at the end of this transfer, because it will mean leaving Elders Schmutz and Jarvis together on their own for a day. We are letting them learn a little more Czech before that happens.
Elder Schmutz & Elder Jarvis - our district greenies
  • And there will be stake conference November 5th in Brno, but we may watch it as a broadcast, I am not sure. And then the last training for me will be November 10th. Which is when I will give my farewell testimony.
  • We went to a funeral of a member who passed away. It happened in the church building, and we ended up being pallbearers. He was from a city outside of Zlín, and I have actually never met him. He has been sick for a long time, and he hasn't been to church since I got here.
  • The Czech Republic actually just had elections for parliament this last week. It is interesting to see how politics here are very different from American politics.  According to my Dad’s current events updates, sounds like politics are still a mess. 

Spiritual thought for the week is the same as my Dad’s spiritual message to me.  The focus of our mission right now is actually on the light of Christ, and so President Pohořelický absolutely loved the talk from LDS General Conference from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf where he talks about “If you open your mind and heart to receive the Light of Christ and humbly follow the Savior, you will receive more light. Line upon line, here a little and there a little, you will gather more light and truth into your souls until darkness has been banished from your life. Every time you turn your hearts to God in humble prayer, you experience His light. Every time you seek His word and will in the scriptures, the light grows in brightness. Every time you notice someone in need and sacrifice your own comfort to reach out in love, the light expands and swells. Every time you reject temptation and choose purity, every time you seek or extend forgiveness, every time you courageously testify of truth, the light chases away darkness and attracts others who are also seeking light and truth.” So keep working on having the light of Christ in your life. Pray, read the scriptures, give service, share your faith. 
I will keep working to the end of my mission, don't worry. Love you lots!

Love,
Elder Pickett


We helped a member at her cottage 








No comments :

Post a Comment