brad

brad

Monday, November 13, 2017

This Might Be It


View from the observation tower.

President Pohořelický

Hello everyone, this week has been awesome. I will share a few short updates and then some important information! I am sending my final testimony today and also plenty of pictures from the last two weeks. I am not sure if I will be emailing next week, so this might be it.
  • This week was really good, and the upcoming week should be good as well. We will have an exchange, and good district meeting, some finding with a YSA member who is super cool, and hopefully some lessons.
  • This week we had some good service planting trees on Saturday. We were with Jaroslav Kvasnička who owns the forest, but we actually weren't in his forest, we were in his garden.  From Elder Raines:  "We planted 10 trees, a variety of Almond, Apple, Plum and Pear.  All the members here have their own gardens and really like the missionaries' help on the weekend.  I have learned how to dig a really good hole."


 a really good hole




  • We did have a lesson with J., he told us that he hadn't been able to read in the Book of Mormon yet, so he wanted to meet later. Hopefully we can this week.
  • We also went to a great training on Friday. It was all about love: love for the people, love for our companions and ourselves, love for our areas, and love for the Lord. It was awesome. I also gave my final testimony there, because I am coming to the end of my mission.
From Elder Raines: “Elder Pickett had an amazing testimony this week at training. It has been such a blessing serving around Elder Pickett for 6 months! 6 of the 8 months in the field. He is such a great example for all of the missionaries here. You have an amazing son. Something he really stressed in his testimony is the love he has for the Czech people. And that is something I have really seen. He really loves the people here and serves out of love. He also shared a lot about how much he has seen the hand of God in the work here. Serving around Elder Pickett has been such a blessing!”

From Pres. Pohořelický: "Our sad, great departing missionaries..." 
from the Brno & Bratislava Districts
Sister Morgan (I never served around her, but I know her), me, Elder McClain (Slovak Elder),
 Elder Chadwick, Elder Smith

  • I will be writing in my journal this week, as well as packing. I am planning on leaving some things. I also bought new shoes and another suit.
  • I am actually very at peace with coming home. It's going to happen whether I am okay with it or not, so I might as well be okay with it. Have an awesome week, and I will see you soon! 
From our výlet last week to Svatý Hostýn. 
They trusted us with the keys to the observation tower.



Which leads into the important information. Next week on Tuesday I will fly home from the Czech Republic. It is crazy to think that these two years are coming to an end. At the beginning it seemed like I had a long time ahead of me, and now, looking back on it, it all feels very short. I have had such an amazing experience here and it is hard to see it come to an end. I figured that I could do some bullet-point recaps of some of the biggest experiences that I have had here and remember.
  • I have learned how to work with people from all different backgrounds and parts of the country. Although I have had the same faith as all of my companions, I have seen a wide variety of opinions, experiences, talents, and lives throughout my time here. I have formed friendships that will last for the rest of my life, and have come close to companions in ways that only overcoming difficulties together can provide.
The UH/ Zlin District… no details about this amazing photo!  It needs to be in a "come up with a caption for this photo" contest!  (picture:  Elder Raines)

  • I have learned a lot about myself of these past 2 years. I have learned how to overcome difficulties, how to live outside of my comfort zone, how to manage time, how to be self-motivated, and how to navigate public transportation in a foreign language. I have learned how to budget, how to communicate better, and how to work with others. I have found some new things I didn't know I enjoy.
  • I have learned a new language, and come to know and love a new culture and people. I always heard before my mission that I would come to love the people who I served, but I never truly understood it until I spent 2 years here among them. I have truly come to love the history, culture, traditions, and ways that Czech people live. I have so much respect for all that they have overcome, and for all that they do. They love to help others, they are funny and friendly, even though they take a little bit to trust new people. I have visited them in their homes, talked with them on the streets, in trams, in the metro, and in buses, and everywhere I have gone, my love for them has only grown. I think that a part of my heart will always be left here in this country, and that these people will be dear to me for the rest of my life, no matter where I am living. I am so grateful that God gave me a chance to love the Czechs.
  • But most of all, I have learned about my Savior Jesus Christ. I have learned about His miraculous gospel, that has the power to redeem us, and to lift us. I am so grateful for His outstretched arm, always there to lift us when we fall. I have seen the power of His gospel in my own life and in the lives of others. I have seen miracles as I have watched myself become happier, more peaceful, and more full of joy than I ever imagined possible. I have met people who risked their freedom and their lives to experience such a joy, and have the faith that I for so long took for granted as simply a constant part of my life. I have been humbled by His power to change me and others, and for the miracles that He causes in each of our lives. My hope is that over these past two years I have been able to leave a small portion of His love with people here. I hope that I have been a vessel through which others could feel and recognize that they are important, that they are loved, and that they have a Father in heaven, who truly wants the best for them. As I have lost myself in serving them I have felt that love more than I believed was possible. I know that God lives, and that He loves each one of us more than we can ever imagine. I am so grateful that He gave me these two years to come to know that love in a better way. Leading up I looked at a mission as a two year sacrifice to the Lord, now I look back on it as a two year gift that He has given me, for which I can never adequately repay Him. I love these people, I love my Father in Heaven, and I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. I know He lives.
S láskou,
Starší  Brad Pickett

President Jan Pohořelický and Sister Pavlína Pohořelická

Last training meeting in Brno with Elder Trythall (also from Roseville!)

With Elder Chadwick (MTC companion)

With Elder Robinson (companion last transfer in Zlin)

With Elder Gubler

With Elder Lovell

With Elder Ahrens

With Elders Robinson, Chadwick & Smith

To Dad: I am coming home very soon. It has been a great two years, and a great foundation for my whole life. I really am looking forward to seeing you all. Have an awesome week, and I will see you soon! Thanks for the spiritual thoughts that have inspired, uplifted, and strengthened me over the past two years, they have been awesome. I love you Dad. (Brad has often shared nice thoughts like this with Mom & Caroline... but this was a very timely one for his Dad)


https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif


No comments :

Post a Comment