brad

brad

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This Week in Hradec Králové

 Elder Beazer and I got lost on the way to somewhere and had to drive to the main square to find a map there. And there was a cool cathedral and statue thing, so we took a picture. This is from a couple weeks ago.

Hello everyone! This week has been pretty warm. And plenty wet again. I will go straight into the updates.
Elder Gubler in the hailstorm we got caught in in Pardubice.

  • On Tuesday we had zone conference in Prague. It was an awesome experience. President had a fabulous training on the power of faith when we choose not to doubt. And we trained about goal setting and planning (I know it's hard to believe that two young adult males could give such a training, but don't worry, we quoted heavily from outside resources). We also translated training, except for our own of course, which was an added fun. It's a fun challenge to translate, and I normally enjoy it. It was a great training, and I learned a lot from it.
  • Throughout the rest of the week we had nothing too crazy. We visited a former investigator and we are probably going back this week with some translation help, because his Czech is pretty limited.
  • After the soccer game last week, Kingsley came to church the next day as well. He and his friend tell me I look like Mr. Bean. They actually call me that now. Unfortunately Kingsley actually just moved to another city, so I won't see him again most likely.


  • We also did some tracting, with somewhat successful results. Essentially we are just struggling with finding new people at the moment. Finding is going slowly, but picking up a bit for this week, which is nice. We are struggling to get lessons with people and get people interested. We are not sure what's holding us back really, but we are going to keep on keeping on. But we have had a few cool experiences and are looking forward to more happening this week. Should be better than last week in terms of having lessons. The missionaries in our zone are doing great.
Elder Beazer and Elder Paxton. 
  • Sunday I translated Sacrament meeting, which was an adventure. I found out it is really hard to translate when someone talks about the different translations of the Czech Bible, because I was reading out of the King James version in English, and so I couldn't figure out what they are talking about fast enough to translate it. Other than that though I think I went pretty well.
  • Today we also got in contact with a young adult we met at the very beginning of the transfer. We had 1 lesson with him and after that lost contact, and we thought he wasn't interested, but today we saw him on the square and he came up and talked to us, and set up another meeting for tomorrow. So that was a nice little miracle. He doesn't live here in HK either, so it was pretty awesome to see him.
  • This transfer with Elder Beazer is going good. No crazy new English slang to report on. We don't speak a whole ton of Czech together, although we both speak it well. We understand basically everything we hear from anyone though, which is nice. I haven't actually had consistent language studies since I left C-Bud. It is pretty sporadic, and normally doesn't happen for us this transfer. HK is great. The ward here is amazing and I love them. 
                                                                             the Bishop's family

  • For P-days we do some relaxing, some missionary work, sometimes we go play sports, today we are going on a bike ride with some of the Bishop's family, and also some shopping. There are some crazy good H&M deals so we will be going over there today. I am slowly going Euro on my fashion. Stay tuned for more next week.
  • Each week, we teach English class to beginners. We have anywhere from 0-4 students every week. We also have sports night which is usually really good. We have foreign students that sometimes come from South America, as well as a guy from Oregon, and we usually invite any younger kids that are hanging around to join us as well. They are usually pretty darn good as well.
  • It doesn't usually break 100 at all here, that is super hot for the Czech Republic. I am crossing my fingers that it never does. I have been eating lots of ice cream. We average about 1 per day. The best flavor is citron, which is like lemon flavored. It is delicious. But they also have lots of other good ones. Cookie, strawberry, and some others. Ice cream is good stuff.
  • Happy Father's Day! I am so grateful to have you as a Dad. You have been a great example to me for my entire life, and I am glad I have been able to see that up close. I don't think the day really exists here in the Czech Republic, because no one did anything for it at church...But that's okay!
  • So to tell you more about that recital we went to, it was for a school for students with disabilities. And they had a band supplying music in the background (Dad would have loved the music). And so the performers, except for 1 or 2 little girls, were all kids with disabilities. And they did a dance of life in a Czech village including a little love story and a wedding. And it was just such a happy, positive event. All the kids had a great time, and the audience just loved it.

My spiritual thought for the week is about prayer. I have found that Heavenly Father is very patient with me in prayer. He is patient when I complain about things I shouldn't complain about, he is patient when I have trouble staying awake while praying, and he is patient with my shortcomings. I think that sometimes I need to be more patient in prayer as well. More patient to accept His timing, more patient to listen to the Spirit, and more patient to feel His love. So I invite you all to try and be patient in praying this week. I will work on it as well. Thanks for all the prayers and support!

-Elder Pickett 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/proxy/AVvXsEjtHXq6mE6rLeA1weGJuKIjUt6AZhnTdyRmCAPv0f2-Pklvlu9_TB3rM7OujbFWW43wCYUegXvKkxfF0BXOmil2NIULI-NlT8rvscj2ikaqjG5p2F_Xx-kjyaXn-36sG1fmYz5P0z-nOzRyF91jAsbrPpAfOAUNB92kyjxG=s0-d-e1-ft



No comments :

Post a Comment